Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Faith is a gift, using it is a choice

I read this today and it really made me think for a minute. I think it's too often portrayed that faith is something you earn or work towards, almost like it's something you obtain, but really it isn't that difficult. Faith is a gift, it's as simple as that and I think where people are mislead is that, like many other gifts, we have to receive it. Then when we have it, we need to use it and if we allow too much time to go by between uses, it begins to dwindle...

The last few months have been a bit hard for us. We have started taking steps in new directions, dealing both with careers and with schooling, among other things, however we feel we are no further along than we were 6 months ago. We are trying so hard to move forward and progress, but it feels like there is all of this resistance pushing against us. Normally it is us that tends to resist change however, in our situation, it seems that change is resisting us. When I read this comment it occurred to me that maybe we need to stop trying to force change and practice all of this faith we claim to have. That possibly, if we stop focusing so hard and putting so much energy into it, just to allow change, it'll happen. I suppose we also have to remember that things don't always happen when we want them to, but we'll keep trying to work hard and trust that things will come together when it's time.

Does this even make sense?

3 comments:

Naomi Alice said...

koh gosh, of course it makes sense. Readying this I just imagined myself sitting by you talking about stuff, cause.. one day we'll do and it will be so great! (:

Yea, all the faith thing... I'll have to tell you my trick to remember about that everyday.. Again, once we'll be sitting somewhere talking about everything and anything.

In my case, I found myself complaining yesterday with Cathrin about how infare is that Christian and are have to be faraway and how hard it is, and how it's so clear how wrong it is (even if right now, it's what we need to do). Then I stopped a second, and told her.. Hey, remember? 2 years ago I was here, and I was about to leave my job and had no clue what my life would have been, (Then I decided to start my business and stuff). Well, at list now I know that I'M GETTING MARRIED! Gosh what a differance, I know exactly where I'm going now (even if it's all a new adventure at the same time)and.. I should really not complain. But that's the thing, life it's hard, with what we don't have and with what we have. Seems like things and situation do change some things, but difficulties are always there. It's just hard to manage, to be patient enough to be ok with it. I think what really changes you in this situation which we find everyday and every time of our life, is how we feel with ourselfs. I found that peace of heart and faith can change it all, but yes.. it all depends on us.
Finding the right balance it's hard task. And situation change all the time, so the work seems to have to be repeated over and over.. but looking back you do see the progress you made, and that only helps you go on trying a little harder.
Ok I finish.. and no, in person I don't talk as much hahahahahaha(:

Wes & Andrea said...

It's so weird that you wrote about faith, because just last weekend WEs and I were driving home from visiting his family and we were talking about the power of faith. And we kind of drew a small conclusion as well.

I also believe that faith is a "small and simple thing," however I don't think we realize the strength that can be generated from it.

It made Wes and I wonder how much knowledge we as individuals have regarding faith when in Alma it tells us that if we were to have the faith of a mustard seed we could move mountains (i think that's right). I honestly don't think this is just an anology. We learn in the temple the faith that was generated to create the world, and mountains, and if we can someday "fully" obtain the gift of faith, I believe that we too will be able to move mountains.

I know this is kind of opposite of what you said, but I think it can be both. Faith can be something so little that it helps to build, or restore a testimony, and is the foundation of so many gospel principles. However, it can be something profound and unassuming. Either concept makes us better people. Whether for the hope that faith has not left us, or the challenge that we have so far to come.

You'll have to tell me what you think...

Christian said...

i think faith, in whatever form you find it, is always a good thing as long has that faith is exercised. for example, Joseph Smith said that he primary motivation factor in all intelligent life is faith. and how it was illustrated for me was, would you get on a plane if you believed it wasn't going to make it to your destination? of course not. however you don't have a sure knowledge that it will land ok. however, once you get on the plane and make it to your destination, it will be easier to do it the next time. another example of this (and you may have known this) was that i really didn't see the point in going on a mission. at the time, i really didn't have any interest in anything like that. but as i continued to go to church and build my testimony, having the faith to just "do what is right", eventually the desire and the ability came to go on a mission.

now i didn't start out with a lot of faith, but with the little i did have, for me, it was important that i exercised it. i mean there is still many areas i don't have a lot of faith, but i'm trying. and i think where there is an effort, or even a desire, there will be growth. alma 32:27.